This September will see the first ever International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. Join people around the world in celebrating the vision of a nuclear weapons free world, raising awareness and pushing the world leaders to negotiate disarmament. Take action: organize and announce your own September 26 event.
The day is supported by UNFOLD ZERO and the United Nations Office of Disarmament Affairs. UNFOLD ZERO will provide a platform for governments, parliaments and civil society to post announcements, photos and reports of actions and events to commemorate this day.
The Inter Parliamentary Union (164 member parliaments) has called on all parliamentarians to promote and commemorate the day. The US Conference of Mayors has called on its more than a thousand member cities to commemorate the day.
What you can do:
- Plan an action to commemorate the day
- Write to your Prime Minister/President and/or Foreign Minister to ask how your government plans to commemorate the day;
- Write to the Speaker/President of your parliament and/or your local member of parliament to ask how your parliament will commemorate the day;
- Ask you mayor or city council how they plan to commemorate the day;
- UN General Assembly resolution 68/32 establishing the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons;
- Inter Parliamentary Union Resolution which calls on all parliamentarians to promote and commemorate the day;
- Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament
- Mayors for Peace