New York: May 11
On January 25, the hands of the Doomsday Clock were moved to 2 Minutes to Midnight due to the increased risk of nuclear conflicts. Now is the time to take action for nuclear risk-reduction and disarmament. Help us reverse the hands of the Doomsday Clock, prevent nuclear war and abolish nuclear weapons.
Join us in New York for the International Campaign and Strategy Meeting of Abolition 2000, the global civil society network to eliminate nuclear weapons.
Nuclear abolition activists from around the world will meet to share campaign reports, discuss nuclear disarmament strategy, explore opportunities for action, build cooperation and plan further campaigns.
Why New York in May?
International Peace Bureau, which provides the secretariat for Abolition 2000, is holding a major international conference on May 12. The Abolition 2000 campaign and strategy meeting occurs the day before this conference.
The draft program for the International Campaign and Strategy meeting includes:
- Inter-faith actions;
- Nuclear risk reduction and no-first use campaigns;
- Diplomacy, war prevention and disarmament – including Iran and North East Asia;
- Move the Nuclear Weapons Money to support economic, social and environmental needs;
- Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons – including national implementation measures to prohibit and criminalise nuclear weapons;
- Establishing Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zones in North-East Asia, the Middle East, the Arctic and Europe;
- Using international law including human rights, international humanitarian law and law protecting future generations;
- Engaging parliamentarians, mayors and youth;
- United Nations initiatives including the UN Secretary-General’s new disarmament initiative.
Venue, date and time
Iran deal vigil
Following the meeting there will be a vigil to support the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (Iran nuclear deal). The announcement by President Trump on May 8 that the USA is leaving the agreement is the stimulus for this action.
The vigil will take place in Washington Square Park, Under the Arch, 5th Ave & Washington Square North, Manhattan, New York from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Click here for the vigil flyer.
- Draft Agenda Abolition 2000 international campaign and strategy meeting
- Abolition 2000 founding statement
- Abolition 2000 operating principles
- Report of Abolition 2000 Youth Network
- Count the Nuclear Weapons Money flyer
- Global Nuclear Ban Treaty Provisions from Frederick Mattis