- This event has passed.
Count the Nuclear Weapons Money
October 24 - October 30
Count the Nuclear Weapons Money
Join artists, sportspeople, religious leaders, musicians, peace and climate activists, youth, legislators and others in New York from October 24-30, 2019 (UN Disarmament Week) to Count the Nuclear Weapons Money.
Over seven days and nights we will count out $1 trillion (in one million notes each of $1million value) – which is the nuclear weapons budget for the next 10 years. While counting, we will highlight what this money could instead cover, by symboliclly re-allocating the money to each of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
The main counting of the nuclear weapons money will take place at the ‘Hub’ in Manhattan, New York. Additional countings will take place in other New York locations and also in London (UK), New Mexico (USA), Philadelphia (USA) and Wellington (NZ).
Main counting location:
Main counting: The Hub: 504 West 22nd Street (10th Ave), New York City.
Counting will start on Thursday Oct 24 at 1pm and continue non-stop until Wednesday October 30 (finishing with a party around 7pm).
The Hub also features the exhibition Project Holocene by artist Russ Ronat, depicting endangered species, and an exhibition by Basia Gaszczynska from the Global Coralition on restoring coral reefs. Sales of the art benefit Peace Accelerators and Count the Nuclear Weapons Money.
Events at the Hub
The Hub: 504 West 22nd Street (10th Ave), New York City.
- Opening Event: Oct 24. 6pm – 8pm.
Money counting, refreshments, music and short reflections from leading money counters
- Tuesday Oct 29. Investing in Peace. 6pm – 8pm. Roundtable discussion with Robert Smith (ICV Group), James Sternlicht (Oceanic Global), Alfredo Sandoval (Sports Diplomacy) and moderated by Susanna Choe (Peace Accelerators).
- Wednesday Oct 30. Closing Party. 7pm-Midnight. Party includes live music from Celine du Tertre , Korra and Dery, poetry and music from Alyn Ware (including The sum of all fears, a poem by Antony Owen specially written for Count the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign), plus a performance of Bella Gaia, a NASA-powered immersive experience, inspired by astronauts who spoke of the life-changing power of seeing the Earth from space.
Other counting locations:
- Manhattan (and Jersey City):
Friday Oct 25: 2-3pm. Outside United Nations (Dag Hammarskjold Plaza) with Fridays strike for the Future.
Saturday Oct 26. Gandhi statue, Union Square Park 12 noon
Monday Oct 28: 5:00pm – 6:00pm. Outside Jacobs Engineering. 500 7th Ave (at 37th street)
Tuesday Oct 29: 11am – 12 noon. City Hall
Wednesday Oct 30: 9:30 – 10:30am: Strawberry Fields, Central Park at West 72nd street. 12-2pm: Washington Square Park/NYU.
(Outside countings contingent on weather. Please call Christopher at +1 270 748-9213 or Susanna at +1 914 227-6845 to check on details)
- London (UK):
Saturday 26 October 2019. 10.00 – 16.00. Ministry of Defence, Horse Guards Avenue, London SW1A 2HB. For more information download the London Count the nuclear weapons money action flyer or visit the London event facebook page.
- New Mexico (USA):
Thursday Oct 24: 3pm-5pm. Taos Plaza. Taos, New Mexico
Friday Oct 25: 12noon-2pm. State Capital Roundhouse. Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Saturday Oct 26: 2pm-4pm.Socorro Plaza Gazebo. Socorro, New Mexico
Monday Oct 28. 2:30 to 4:30 pm. Los Alamos New Mexico (Location pending)
Click here for the press release about New Mexico events. For further details Contact Suzie Schwartz
- Philadelphia (USA): Thursday, October 24th, 12 noon to 1 pm. Organised by Granny Peace Brigade Philadelphia. Contact Gloria Hoffman.
- Wellington (New Zealand): Thursday October 24, 1pm-2pm. New Zealand Parliament (Women’s Affairs Select Committee Room) co-hosted by Louisa Wall MP, United Nations Association of NZ and PNND. Contact Lachlan Craig
Click here for further information and to join the counting.
Downloadable flier: Count the Nuclear Weapons Money flier (2019)