- This event has passed.
Global week of action on Peace, the Climate, SDGs and Nuclear Abolition
September 21 - September 27
The week of Sep 21-27 includes the following key events:
- Sep 21: UN International Day for Peace;
- Sep 23: UN Climate Summit;
- Sep 24-25: Summit on SDGs;
- Sep 26: International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
Together these dates comprise a Global week of action on peace, climate, SDGs and nuclear abolition.
Flyers on the Global Week: Taking action together
Abolition 2000 has established a working group to build cooperation between climate, SDG, peace and disarmament organisations to take action during the week. For more information see the Abolition 2000 flyer on the Global Week for Peace, the Climate, SDGs and Nuclear Abolition Sep 21-27.
Abolition 2000 is cooperating with Action for Sustainable Development (A4SD), Forus, Asia Development Alliance (ADA), the Korea International Cooperation Agencyand other sustainable develpoment organisations on Stand Together Now for a Just and Peaceful World: Seven Days to Save our Planet. See Stand Together for peace and sustainability Global Week of Action Sep 20-27 poster.
Connections between peace, climate protection, SDGs and disarmament
UN Charter (Article 26) recognises the connection between disarmament and sustainable development. Article 26 requires the UN to facilitate disarmament ‘in order to promote the establishment and maintenance of international peace and security with the least diversion for armaments of the world’s human and economic resources.’
More recently the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development recognizes that there can be no sustainable development without peace, and no peace without sustainable development. In addition, Securing our Common Future: An Agenda for Disarmament, the disarmament agenda released in 2018 by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, outlines the links between disarmament and many of the SDGs.
Key events and actions:
Sep 21: International Day for Peace
- UN event: International Day of Peace Student Observance, United Nations, 20 September 2019. Watch it on webtv.un.org
- Peace One Day event in London: with civil society leaders and celebrities that will be live-streamed globally.
- List your event at Peace One Day, a global platform to share, find out about or join actions for Peace Day.
For further information see the UN website on International Day for Peace. Share your ideas and activities through #PeaceDay and #ClimateAction.
Sep 23: UN Climate Summit
- UN Climate Summit, New York on 23 September
Action: Call on your government to commit in New York to deeper reductions in carbon emissions, a faster transition from fossil fuels to renewable energies, and reductions in military budgets in order to fund climate protection.
Sep 24-25: Summit on Sustainable Development
- Summit on the SDGs, September 24-25
Action: Call on your government to highlight at the SDG Summit the importance of peace and demilitarisation in achieving the SDGs, and support the proposal of Kazakhstan that all countries redirect 1% of their military budget to the SDGs.
Sep 26: International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons
- UN High Level Meeting on Nuclear Disarmament, September 26. See International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. To register click here (registration deadline is August 23).
- List your action or event at UNFOLD ZERO: list of events for Nuclear Abolition Day .
a) Encourage your Prime Minister/President to attend the Sep 26 UN High-Level Meeting on Nuclear Disarmament and call on all States to never launch a nuclear war, and to negotiate for the abolition and elimination of nuclear weapons;
b) Organise a screening of ‘The Man who saved the World’ or other action for Nuclear Abolition Day.
- Billion acts of peace hosts a platform for oarganisations and activists to list their peace actions on any day of the year.