- This event has passed.
International Youth Day: Youth Engagement for Global Action
In 1999, the United Nations (by General Assembly Resolution 54/120) established August 12 as International Youth Day. The main objectives of the day are to bring youth issues to the attention of the international community and celebrate the potential of youth as partners in today’s global society.
The theme for 2020 is Youth Engagement for Global Action. This focuses on ways in which the engagement of young people at the local, national and global levels is enriching national and multilateral institutions and processes, as well as draw lessons on how their representation and engagement in formal institutional politics can be significantly enhanced.
We encourage those observing the International Youth Day to also consider the importance of peace, disarmament (including nuclear disarmament) and sustainable development for youth, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Relevant youth actions/initiatives:
- Youth voices and actions on climate, peace and nuclear disarmament. Youth are invited to make short video messages connecting the issues. Those not-so-young are invited to respond to the youth videos;
- Youth actions to support the UN Global Ceasefire. Armed conflict impacts most on youth, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Youth (and not-so-young) are encouraged to support the UN Secretary-General’s initiative for a global ceasefire in order to help youth in conflict zones.
- Move the Nuclear Weapons Money. $100 billion per year is being spent globally on nuclear weapons. Youth are encouraged to support the global campaign to move nuclear weapons budgets and investments to instead support climate action, peace and sustainable development to protect the rights of future generations.
- Take the UN one minute survey about the role of the United Nations, and add your voice to advance issues relevant to youth.
- Join the Abolition 2000 youth network to engage with other youth on nuclear disarmament and peace issues.
- Join #31DaysOfYOUth, a social media campaign that is celebrating young people throughout the month of August and building dialogue surrounding youth engagement for global action!
- Youth responses to COVID-19. Click here for an overview of issues facing youth and the pandemic, including health, education, and employment.