- This event has passed.
Move the Nuclear Weapons (and fossil fuel) Money webinar
April 21 @ 11:00 am - 2:30 pm EDT
Move the Nuclear Weapons (and fossil fuel) Money:
Cutting nuclear weapons budgets, Ending investments in nuclear weapons & fossil fuels,
Reallocating these to public health, climate protection and sustainable development
International webinar, Tuesday April 21, 2020
Held in conjunction with Earth Day 2020 and the Global Days of Action on Military Spending, April 10 – May 5, 2020
The coronavirus pandemic has highlighted the need for governments and the international community to focus more on human security issues and to shift resources from military spending, especially the nuclear weapons budgets, to accomplish this. However, the nuclear weapons and fossil fuel industries have vested financial interests in maintaining the nuclear arms race and a fossil fuel economy. They are potent political forces preventing change.
Governments, cities, religious communities, universities, banks and private investors can shift these financial incentives by divesting from the nuclear weapons and fossil fuel industries and re-allocating these investments according to the UN Global Compact and ESG (Environment, Social, Governance) principals. Such actions provide political support for legislative efforts to cut nuclear weapons budgets, especially in the USA and UK.
This webinar will highlight public campaigns and legislative efforts to cut nuclear weapons budgets, along with examples of nuclear weapons and fossil fuel divestment and examine how these can assist initiatives to cut nuclear weapons budgets and support public health, climate protection and sustainable development. The webinar will include the preview of a Handbook on Nuclear Weapons Divestment which is being developed by the Move the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign and will be published later this year.
- Susanna Choe (USA), Executive Director, Regeneration Fund and Move the Nuclear Weapons Money program, Investment Community Visibility Group.
- Thies Kaetow (Germany), Divestment Researcher, World Future Council.
- Jennifer Blemur (USA), Director, Women Legislators’ Lobby (WiLL), a program of Women’s Action for New Directions (WAND)
- Quique Sánchez (Spain), Global Days of Action on Military Spending
- Marzhan Nurzhan (Kazakhstan/Switzerland), Coordinator of the Abolition 2000 Youth Network. Deputy Director of the Basel Peace Office.
- Jeff Perkins (USA), Executive Director, Friends Fiduciary Corporation
- Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic), Social Media Director, Move the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign.
- Kehkashan Basu (United Arab Emirates/Canada), Youth Ambassador, World Future Council. Winner, 2016 International Children’s Peace Prize.
- Matt Robson (New Zealand), Former Deputy Leader of the Progressive Party and New Zealand Minister for Disarmament and Arms Control.
- John Ingram (USA). 350NYC.org Steering Committee Member. Member of Divest NYC Coalition and Divest NY State Coalition
- Karen Robinson (UK). Campaign Worker, Conscience:Taxes For Peace Not War.
Session 1: Divestment and ethical/impact investment. 11:00 – 12:30 (New York Time)
Session 2: Legislative action and public promotion. 13:00 – 14:30 (New York Time)
Click here to download the program.
Click here to register.
For more information contact [email protected]