- This event has passed.
Official Hiroshima Day commemoration – Peace Park Hiroshima
August 6 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am JST
The ceremony features speeches with entreaties for peace from the Prime Minister of Japan, the Mayor of Hiroshima and other noteworthy figures. At 8:15 on the morning of August 6th, marking the exact moment when the atomic bomb was dropped, bells ring out at temples, sirens wail throughout the city and the citizens of Hiroshima observe a solemn moment of silence in remembrance.
You can watch the ceremony on live-stream. To watch in English, click here. To watch in Japanese, click here. For more information see Peace Memorial ceremony 2020 and Peace Memorial Livestream below.
2020 Peace Memorial special measures due to COVID-19
In light of the fact that the Peace Memorial Ceremony has never once been cancelled since the Cenotaph for the A-Bomb Victims was built in Peace Memorial Park in 1952, and that this year marks the 75th anniversary of the bombing, Hiroshima City has decided to proceed with holding this year’s ceremony as detailed below while implementing strict COVID-19 infection prevention measures.
- To maintain social distance, chairs will be spaced 2 meters apart, which makes 880 the maximum number of seats that can be placed on the lawn of Peace Memorial Park.
- In order to allow for as many hibakusha and bereaved families as possible to attend with this year’s limited number of seats, there will NOT be general admission seats this year.
- Please see here for a list of those who are currently invited to the ceremony.
- The UN Secretary General is planning to attend in person if circumstances allow; if not, he will send a video message.
- World leaders, representatives of UN agencies, and mayors of sister cities are invited to send a video message this year instead of attending.
Peace Memorial Ceremony Live Stream
The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony 2020 will be live streamed on August 6 from 7am to 8:50 am (JST). The official ceremony starts at 8am.
- To watch in English, click here.
- To watch in Japanese, click here.
- Click here for further information about the livestreaming.
Please be aware that you may not be able to view the live stream due to any number of technical reasons, such as the device you are using. Also, please note that you may experience a slight lag between the actual events and when they are broadcast. Hiroshima City will broadcast a test image on July 31 (Fri) 10 am – 6 pm and August 3 (Mon) 10 am – 6 pm (Japan time) if you want to test your device.