- This event has passed.
UK events for Hiroshima and Nagasaki Days
August 6, 2017 - August 9, 2017
On 6 August 1945, the US dropped an atomic bomb called “Little Boy” on Hiroshima in Japan. Three days later a second atomic bomb (“Fat Man”) was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. These are the only times nuclear weapons have been used in war. The firestorm in Hiroshima ultimately destroyed 13 square kilometres (5 square miles) of the city. Almost 63% of the buildings in Hiroshima were completely destroyed after the bombing and nearly 92% of the structures in the city had been either destroyed or damaged by blast and fire.
Estimates of total deaths in Hiroshima have generally ranged between 100,000 and 180,000, out of a population of 350,000. Casualties from Nagasaki are thought to be between 50,000 and 100,000. Learn more about the background to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament is organising a number of commemoration events throughout the United Kingdom.
Memorial events planned across the UK for Hiroshima and Nagasaki Days.
- Abingdon * Bedford * Birkenhead * Birmingham * Bolton * Bromley * Bromley Peace Picnic
- Carshalton * Chester * Coventry * Crawley * Crawley Vigil * Croydon
- Derby * Dunbar * Edinburgh * Finchley * Heaton Park * Hebden Bridge * Hereford
- Isle of Wight * Kingston * Leicester * Leeds * Liverpool * London – Battersea Park * London – Remembering Hiroshima film festival
- London – Nagasaki Peace Walk * London – No More Hiroshima rally * London – Tavistock Square * London – Victoria Park
- Maldon * Manchester * Morpeth, Northumberland * Paisley * Pembrokeshire
- Salisbury * Stockport * Tavistock * Wimbledon