Abolition 2000 proposals and side events at the 2023 NPT Prep Com
From July 31 until August 11 2023, States Parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty will be meeting at the UN Vienna in a Preparatory Committee Meeting for the next NPT Review Conference which is scheduled for 2026. The NPT Prep Com provides an important forum for States Parties to the NPT to discuss key proposals and initiatives for nuclear risk reduction, non-proliferation and disarmament, including some advanced by civil society.
Abolition 2000 working groups and member organizations are making a number of concrete proposals to the NPT Prep Com, and holding a number of side events to delve more deeply into these proposals.
NWC Reset: Frameworks for a nuclear-weapons-free world
The Abolition 2000 Working Group on a Nuclear Weapons Convention (NWC) has drafted a working paper entitled NWC Reset: Frameworks for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World which Jackie Cabasso, Abolition 2000 Steering Committee Member, will present to the NPT Prep Com at the August 2 plenary session devoted to civil society statements. The working paper includes reflections on the political environment for comprehensive nuclear disarmament, an outline of three possible approaches for establishing the framework for a nuclear-weapon-free world, plus recommendations to the 2023 NPT Prep Com for the commencement of deliberations to achieve comprehensive nuclear disarmament within timebound commitments.
Nuclear Taboo from Norm to Law
Also at the August 2 plenary, the Abolition 2000 working group on nuclear risk-reduction, in cooperation with NoFirstUse Global, will present Nuclear Taboo from Norm to Law to the States Parties to the NPT. This Declaration calls on the NPT and the UN General Assembly to enshrine as a dictate of international law the statement agreed by the G20 Leaders in Bali last November that “The use or threat of use of nuclear weapons is inadmissible.” The statement also calls on states to take the first step to implement this norm/law by adopting no-first-use policies. The declaration will be presented to the NPT by John Hallam, Member of the Abolition 2000 working group on Nuclear Risk Reduction and NoFirstUse Global Steering Committee Member.
Common security v nuclear deterrence
Abolition 2000 member organizations Basel Peace Office, World Federalist Movement and World Future Council are presenting Common Security v Nuclear Deterrence, a joint statement to the NPT endorsed by 165 organizations – calling on the nuclear armed and allied states to replace their reliance on nuclear deterrence with common security alternatives. The statement proposes that the NPT establish a subsidiary body to outline the full range of theoretical and actual security threats which nuclear deterrence is designed to address, explore common security (and conventional military) alternatives to nuclear deterrence to address these threats, and make recommendations on the transition from nuclear deterrence to non-nuclear security.
The statement, which will be presented to the NPT by John Vlasto, Chair of the World Federalist Movement Executive Board, highlights in particular the role of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to replace the law of force with the force of law, and encourages all States that have not yet done so to declare their acceptance of ICJ jurisdiction.
Side events of Abolition 2000 working groups and member organizations
- Aug 1: Mayors for Peace Youth Forum. Conference Room M4. 11:00-12:30. Organised by Mayors for Peace. Contact Tsubasa Kawamoto
- Aug 1: Nuclear Risk Reduction – 90 seconds to Midnight. Conference Room M4. 3:15-5:45pm (15:15-17:45). Organised by the Abolition 2000 working group on nuclear risk reduction. Contact: John Hallam
- Aug 4: Common Security v. Nuclear Weapons: How to replace the current reliance on nuclear deterrence. 1:15-2:45pm Organised by World Federalist Movement, Word Future Council, Youth Fusion and Basel Peace Office. Contact: Amy Oloo
- Aug 6: Hiroshima Day event. Stephansplatz, Vienna. 6pm-8:30pm. Abolition 2000, World, Future Council and Youth Fusion will be displaying the 3D NukeMissile.
- Aug 7: Climate Nuclear Nexus: Session 1: Moving the Nuclear Weapons Money to climate protection and SDGs. Conference Room M4. 10:15-11:15am. Organised by PNND, World Future Council and Basel Peace Office. Contact: Alyn Ware
- Aug 7: Climate Nuclear Nexus: Session 2: The International Court of Justice Climate case and the UN Summit of the Future. Conference Room M4. 11:30-12:45. Organised by PNND, World Future Council and Basel Peace Office. Contact: Marie Biermann
- Aug 7: Nuclear Stories: Storytelling in action. Conference Room M4. 15:15-17:45 Organised by Youth Fusion and DOCMINE. Contact: Vanda Proskova.
- Aug 8: NWC Reset: Frameworks for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World. Conference Room M4. 13:15-14:45. Organised by the Abolition 2000 Working Group on an NWC. Contact: Alyn Ware
- Aug 9. General Comment 36: Advancing nuclear abolition and climate protection in the UN Human Rights bodies. Conference Room M4. 10:30-12:00. Organised by Basel Peace Office, World Future Council and Youth Fusion. Contact: Alyn Ware
- Aug 9. Youth Hotline: Solutions to burning issues. Conference Room M4. 13:15 – 14:45. Organised by Youth Fusion. Contact: Vanda Proskova.
- Aug 9. Abolition 2000 Convening. Conference Room M4. 16:30-18:00. Organised by Abolition 2000. Contact: Jackie Cabasso