Annual General Meeting, May 23, 2020
The world has been changed by the COVID-19 pandemic, yet the development, production, deployment and threat of use of nuclear weapons remain. This year, the AGM will be held as an international online video conference. It replaces the physical event which was originally scheduled to take place in New York on May 2 during the time of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference, which has been postponed until at least January 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please click here to open the agenda in a new tab of your browser.
Background reading for newcomers
Click here to read our founding statement
Click here to read about our mission, our successes and some of our projects
Click here to review our operating principles
Campaign updates and reports. Strategy discussion on challenges and opportunities to advance nuclear abolition. Introduction of proposals.
Food for thought
To accompany the strategy discussion we asked members of the Abolition 2000 network to give us their thoughts on “Nuclear abolition in the post-covid-19 world”.
• Oleg Bodrov (Russian Federation), Public Council of the South Coast of the Gulf of Finland
• Tarja Cronberg (Finland), SIPRI European Security Programme
• Maria Fernanda Espinosa (Ecuador), World Future Council and former President of the UN General Assembly
• Kate Hudson (United Kingdom), Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
• Andrew Lichterman (United States), Western States Legal Foundation
• Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic), Abolition 2000 Youth Network and Move the Nuclear Weapons Money
• Suvrat Raju (India), Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace.
• Elder Kathy Sanchez (United States), Environmental Health & Justice and Sayain Circle of Grandmothers Coordinator
You can watch all these videos on our youtube channel.
The following reports have been received from working groups and affiliated networks.
Abolition 2000 Youth Network
Nuclear Risk Reduction
Moving Beyond Missile Defense and Space Weapons
Nukes in Europe
Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space
Gensuikyo – Japan Council against A and H Bombs
Mayors for Peace
Move the Nuclear Weapons Money
Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament (PNND)
Peace and Planet
World Beyond War
World without Wars
Discussion of proposals. Abolition 2000 Secretariat report. Fundraising. Affirmation of the Abolition 2000 Coordinating Committee and Global Council. Calendar of upcoming events.
Gensuikyo on the “Peace Wave” and the 2020 World Conference against A and H Bombs to commemorate the 75h anniversary of the atomic bombing
Dominique Lalanne (Abolition des Armes Nucléaires – Maison de Vigilance) and Marc Morgan (Trident Ploughshares and CND) on an International Fast from August 6 to August 9, 2020
Holger Güssefeld and Jörg Salamon, World Future Council – divestment campaign – Money be Good.
Annual report of the network for 2019
Secretariat, Coordinating Committee, Finances and Fundraising report
Abolition 2000 personnel