- This event has passed.
Advancing the Climate – Nuclear Disarmament Nexus through the UN, human rights, law and finance
August 11 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm EDT
The Climate-Nuclear Disarmament Nexus highlights the connections between the climate crisis and the threat from nuclear weapons, advances policy solutions to address both issues including through divestment and international law, and builds cooperation between legislators, experts and civil society movements working on these two existential threats to humanity.
This session will include discussion on:
- Shifting nuclear weapons and fossil fuel budgets and investments to ESG (environment, social, governance) impact investment;
- Challenging nuclear weapons and climate policies in UN Human Rights bodies in follow-up to the Human Rigths Committee affirmation in 2018 that nuclear weapons and climate change violate the Right to Life;
- The initative to take climate change to the International Court of Justice;
- Other inter-generational dialogue and cooperation on the climate-nuclear disarmament nexus.
- Alyn Ware (New Zealand/Czech Republic). Director, Basel Peace Office. Co-founder, Move the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign;
- Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic). Co-convenor, Youth Fusion.
- H.E. Mr Odo Tevi (Vanuatu). Vanuatu Special Envoy for Climate Change. Permanent Representative of Vanuatu to the UN;
- Saber Chowdhury MP (Bangladesh). Honorary President, Inter-Parliamentary Union. PNND Co-President
- Ms Michaela Sørensen (Mozambique/Denmark), Youth Fusion Co-convener. Coordinator of the PNND Gender, Peace and Security program;
- Mr Solomon Yeo (Solomon Islands). Core Team member, Pacific Islands Students Fighting Climate Change.
The Permanent Mission of Vanuatu to the United Nations in New York, Basel Peace Office, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament, World Future Council and Youth Fusion.