The Peace Bell is one of five copies of the Angelus bells from the Urakami Cathedral in Nagasak. The church was destoryed in the atomic blast of August 9, 1945, but one of bells survived and its ringing symbolises hope for peace, life and the abolition of nuclear weapons.
The Nagasaki Peace Bell in Heiden was a gift from Nagasaki in honour of the legacy of Henri Dunant, the founder of the International Red Cross. The bell arrived in Heiden in 2010 and was installed with artistic design of the installation by Lucie Schenker. The bell is rung each year on August 9th in commemoration of the Nagasaki Bombing and as a prayer for peace and nuclear abolition.
Greeting and introductory words: Norbert Näf, President Henry Dunant Museum Heiden
Presentation: Dr. Othmar Kehl, IPPNW
Guest Speech: Marzhan Nurzhan, Deputy Director of the Basel Peace Office, Coordinator of the Abolition 2000 Youth Network and PNND Coordinator for CIS (former Soviet) countries. Marzhan is originally from Kazahkstan, the most nuclear bombed country in the world, having suffered from over 450 nuclear test explosions during Soviet times.
Music: Yuko Ishikawa and Barbara Hürlimann, Violonists Symphony Orchestra St.Gallen.
Event flier (in German)