- This event has passed.
The United Nations and Nuclear Disarmament: Commemoration of the 75th anniversary of UN Resolution 1 (1)
January 25, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm CET
Webinar: January 25. 11:00-12:30 Eastern USA time/17:00-18:30 Central Europe time
The very first resolution, adopted by consensus on 24 January 1946, established the UN goal of the elimination of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction. This event to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the resolution, will highlight important UN initiatives and developments to achieve that goal.
The commemoration event takes place as the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons enters-into-force, the 2021 session of the UN Conference on Disarmament opens, the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists re-sets the Doomsday Clock indicating the threat to humanity from nuclear weapons and climate change, and a new US President is inaugurated setting the scene for renewed leadership on nuclear disarmament.
For additional background, see Nuclear Ban Treaty and UN Resolution 1 (1).
Moderator: Alyn Ware, Global Coordinator of Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament. Director of the World Future Council Peace and Disarmament Program. Right Livelihood Laureate 2009.
- H.E. Ms Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General of the UN in Geneva, Secretary-General of the Conference on Disarmament, Personal Representative of the UN Secretary-General to the CD;
- Hon Ms Maria Fernanda Espinosa, Member of the World Future Council. President of the 73rd UN General Assembly. Fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science;
- Dr Randy Rydell, Executive Adviser, Mayors for Peace. Former senior political affairs officer at the UN Office of Disarmament Affairs;
- Ms Kehkashan Basu, Member of the World Future Council. Founder of Green Hope Foundation, UN Human Rights Champion, Winner of the 2016 International Children’s Peace Prize & Winner of the First-Ever Voices Youth Gorbachev-Shultz Legacy Award for Nuclear Disarmament;
- Ms Vanda Proskova, Co-convenor of Youth Fusion, Vice-Chair of PragueVision Institute for Sustainable Security, Co-moderator of #wethepeoples2020, Global civil society youth speaker for the 2020 UN High Level Meeting on the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
Registration: Click here to register.
- Event video on facebook (Event starts 3 minutes from start of video)
- Event video on Youtube (Event starts 2 minutes from start of video)
- The UN and Nuclear Disarmament event Chat box
Cosponsors: Basel Peace Office, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament, Right Livelihood Foundation, UNFOLD ZERO, World Future Council and Youth Fusion.